Rat Bait Poisoning

Rat Bait Poisoning

Rat bait is commonly used around properties, but is extremely harmful to your pet if eaten.  Rat bait works by preventing clotting of the blood and symptoms often do not appear until a few days after eating.

 

Signs of poisoning are variable and caused by bleeding

Signs include:

  • Lethargy
  • Pale gums
  • Difficulty breathing/ coughing
  • Blood in stool
  • Vomiting
  • Bleeding from nose or gums

pale-canine-gums

If your pet is showing any of these signs or if you know your pet has eaten some bait please contact the clinic immediately.

If known, please note the name/type of poison eaten as their properties vary.

If you suspect your pet has eaten rat bait but is not yet showing signs, it is also important to bring it into the clinic.  If eaten recently and is still in the stomach, inducing vomiting can prevent the absorption of the poison.  A blood test can show clotting problems before signs become apparent.

 

Treatment of rat bait poisoning involves treating with vitamin K to maintain the production of the clotting factors the body needs.  If the animal is brought in showing symptoms other therapy may also be needed including a blood transfusion.

The length of treatment with vitamin K is variable and depends on the type of bait eaten, varying from one to four weeks.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *